With the 2013-14 the 2013-14 session session of the Massachusetts Legislature underway, leadership positions have been filled and committee assignments made. We congratulate Senator Sonia Chang-Diaz (D-Boston) and Representative Alice Peisch (D-Wellesley) on their reappointment as co-chairs of the Legislature’s Joint Committee on Education and look forward to continuing to work with them and their colleagues on behalf of the commonwealth’s young children and families.
Here’s a rundown of some of the other leadership and committee assignments:
- Senate leadership. Senator Therese Murray (D-Plymouth), president; Senator Stanley C. Rosenberg (D-Amherst), majority leader; Senator Richard T. Moore (D-Uxbridge), president pro tempore; Senator Harriette L. Chandler (D-Worcester), assistant majority leader; Senator Karen Spilka (D-Ashland), Senate majority whip; Senator Mark C. Montigny (D-New Bedford), assistant majority whip; Senator Stephen M. Brewer (D-Barre), Senate Ways and Means chair; Senator Bruce E. Tarr (R-Gloucester), minority leader; Senator Robert L. Hedlund (R-Weymouth), assistant majority leader; Senator Richard J. Ross (R-Wrentham), minority whip; Senator Michael R. Knapik (R-Westfield), Senate Ways and Means ranking member.
- House leadership. Representative Robert A. DeLeo (D-Winthrop), speaker; Representative Ronald Marinaro (D-Quincy), majority leader; Representative Patricia A. Haddad (D-Somerset), speaker pro tempore; Representative Byron Rushing (D-Boston), majority whip; Representative Kathie- Anne Reinstein (D-Revere), second assistant majority leader; Representative Garrett J. Bradley (D-Hingham), Representative Michael J. Moran (D-Brighton), Representative Paul J. Donato (D-Medford), Representative Ellen Story (D-Amherst), division chairs; Representative Brian S. Dempsey (D-Haverhill), House Ways and Means chair; Representative Bradley H. Jones Jr. (R-North Reading), minority leader; Representative George N. Peterson Jr. (R-Grafton), assistant minority leader; Representative Bradford Hill (R-Ipswich), second assistant minority leader; Representative Elizabeth A. Poirier (R-North Attleborough), third assistant minority leader.
- Senate Committee on Ways and Means. Senator Stephen M. Brewer (D-Barre), chair; Senator Jennifer L. Flanagan (D-Leominster), vice chair; Senator Sal N. DiDomenico (D-Everett), assistant vice chair
- House Committee on Ways and Means. Representative Brian S. Dempsey (D-Haverhill), chair; Representative Stephen Kulik (D-Worthington), vice chair; Representative Cheryl A. Coakley-Rivera (D-Springfield), assistant vice chair.
- Joint Committee on Education. Senator Chang-Diaz and Representative Peisch, chairs; Senator Patricia D. Jehlen (D-Somerville) and Representative Denise C. Garlick (D-Needham), vice chairs; Senators Sal N. Di Domenico (D-Everett), Barry R. Finegold (D-Andover) and Richard J. Ross (R-Wrentham), and Representatives John H. Rogers (D-Norwood), Carlos Henriquez (D-Dorchester), Frank A. Moran (D-Lawrence), Jonathan D. Zlotnik (D-Gardner), David T. Vieira (R-East Falmouth), Marcos A. Devers (D-Lawrence), Diana DiZoglio (D-Methuen), Jeffrey N. Roy (D-Franklin), and Kimberly N. Ferguson (R-Holden), members.
- Joint Committee on Children, Families and Persons with Disabilities. Senator Michael Barrett (D-Lexington) and Representative Kay Khan (D-Newton), chairs; Senator James T. Welch (D-West Springfield) and Representative Marcos A. Devers (D-Lawrence), vice chairs.
- Joint Committee on Higher Education. Senator Michael O. Moore (D-Millbury) and Representative Tom Sannicandro (D-Ashland), chairs; Senator Eileen Donoghue (D-Lowell) and Representative Paul W. Mark (D-Peru), vice chairs.
Massachusetts readers, do you see your legislators in this list? Click here for more information about congratulating them.