Here in Massachusetts, our state legislators are drafting their budget recommendations for fiscal year 2015. In the next few weeks, they will meet with leaders in the House of Representative and the Senate to share their priorities. High-quality early education should be at the top of that agenda.
Research shows that high-quality early education provides cost-effective social and academic benefits for children. In the commonwealth, these children are our “rising stars,” and they are counting on everyone — educators, parents, advocates, neighbors, grandparents, administrators, students and citizens — to speak up on their behalf.
So contact your state legislators. And please join Rising Stars 2014. Send your legislator stars to remind them about the importance of early education.
- Decorate stars: Invite young children in your early education program/family/neighborhood to decorate stars. Click here for a star template. Please cut out the stars. On the back of the decorated stars, attach a message about the importance of investing in our rising stars. On the message sheet, include the child’s name, the name of your program (if applicable), and your city or town.
- Help children grades K-3 fill out their very own K-3rd Rising Star to send to state legislators! Make sure to complete both sides.
- Future early educators: Send a message to your legislators asking them to prioritize young children and the early education workforce by personalizing this letter.
- General supporters of young children: Personalize this letter to your legislators on behalf of young children and families in Massachusetts. In the section labeled “your role,” choose from one of the following or write another that best describes you: parent, voter, resident, professional educator, voter, administrator, grandparent, concerned citizen, etc.
- Send materials to your state legislators! Mail your decorated stars and letters to legislators in your district. Look up your legislators here:https://malegislature.gov/People/CityList
- Let us know if you participated. Return your participation form to:
Strategies for Children/Early Education for All
400 Atlantic Avenue
Boston, MA 02110
If you have questions, please contact Laura Healy at 617-330-7389 or EEAintern@earlyeducationforall.org.
Thank you for supporting all our rising stars.